Feminae: Medieval Women and Gender Index


  • Record Number: 5549
  • Author(s)/Creator(s): Radke , Gary M.
  • Contributor(s):
  • Title: Nuns and Their Art: The Case of San Zaccaria in Renaissance Venice [the nuns of San Zaccaria, mostly of good birth, had a symbiotic relationship with the city of Venice; public and private interests supported the nuns; and they responded by, among other things, patronizing art that was seen by visitors to their church; during the fifteenth century the nuns both redecorated their original church and, in the 1460s, built a new church alongside the old; the nuns not only funded these projects, they supervised the work to see that their wishes were heeded].
  • Source URL: Renaissance Quarterly (Full Text via JSTOR) 54, 2 (Summer 2001): 430-459. Link Info target = '_blank'>Renaissance Quarterly (Full Text via JSTOR) 54, 2 (Summer 2001): 430-459. Link Info
  • Description:
  • Article Type: Journal Article
  • Subject (See Also): Abbesses Donato, Marina, Abbess of San Zaccaria, Venice Foscari, Elena, Abbess of San Zaccaria, Venice Friedrich III, Holy Roman Emperor Monastic Enclosure Monasticism Nuns Patronage, Artistic Patronage, Ecclesiastical Venice- San Zaccaria, a Women's Bene
  • Geographic Area: Italy
  • Century: 15
  • Related Resources:
  • Primary Evidence:
  • Illustrations: Six illustrations. Figure One Plan of the church of San Zaccaria, Venice. Figure Two Photograph of the apse and high altarpiece, Chapel of San Tarasio, San Zaccaria, Venice. Frescoes by Andrea del Castagno and Francesco da Faenza, 1442; altarpiece by Antonio Vivarini, Giovanni d'Alemagna, and Ludovico da Forlì, 1443. Figure Three Rear of the high altarpiece, Chapel of San Tarasio, San Zaccaria, Venice. Figure Four Santa Sabina Altarpiece, Chapel of San Tarasio, San Zaccaria, Venice. Painted by Antonio Vivarini, Giovanni d'Alemagna, and Ludovico da Forlì, 1443. Figure Five Corpus Christi Altarpiece, Chapel of San Tarasio, San Zaccaria, Venice by Antonio Vivarini, Giovanni d'Alemagna, and Ludovico da Forlì, 1443. Figure Six Choir stalls, Chapel of Sant' Atanasio, San Zaccaria, Venice by Marco and Francesco Cozzi, 1455- 1464.
  • Table:
  • Abstract: This article discusses the ways in which fifteenth-century nuns financed, shaped, and used works of art and architecture at the Benedictine convent of San Zaccaria in Venice. Evidence from chronicles, account books, liturgical manuscripts, reports of visits to the convent, and inscriptions on the works of art themselves shows that the nuns viewed art within their convent extremely proprietarily. While they accepted subsidies from the civic government, indulgences from popes, privileges from Byzantine emperors, and donations from private patrons, the nuns paid close attention to the administration of commissions within the convent church and committed substantial funds to artistic projects, making them their own. [Reproduced by permission of the Renaissance Society of America.]
  • Author's Affiliation: Syracuse University
  • Conference Info: - , -
  • Year of Publication: 2001.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN/ISBN: 00344338
  • Material/Technique :
  • Rights: