Feminae: Medieval Women and Gender Index


  • Record Number: 18305
  • Author(s)/Creator(s): Barclay-Lloyd , Joan E.
  • Contributor(s):
  • Title: The Church and Monastery of S. Pancrazio, Rome [In 1204 Innocent III crowned Peter II of Aragon at San Pancrazio outside Rome. San Pancrazio had been a Benedictine monastery since the late 6th century, but the monks were replaced by a group of penitent women in 1255. These women became Cistercians shortly thereafter, remaining until Ambrosian Friars replaced them in 1438. The 13th-century reduction of the church to a single nave without side aisles and divided by a screen wall may represent adaptation to the need of these nuns for more privacy. Title note supplied by Feminae.].
  • Source: Pope, Church and City: Essays in Honour of Brenda M. Bolton.  Edited by Frances Andrews, Christoph Egger and Constance M. RousseauMedieval Mediterranean.  Brill, 2004.  Pages 245 - 266.
  • Description:
  • Article Type: Essay
  • Subject (See Also): Cistercian Order Monasticism Nuns Penitents Rome- Monastery of San Pancrazio Women in Religion
  • Geographic Area: Italy
  • Century: 13- 14- 15
  • Related Resources:
  • Primary Evidence:
  • Illustrations: Six Figures. Figure 1 Church of San Pancrazio, ground plan. Figure 2 Church of San Pancrazio, reconstruction of fabric ca. 625-638. Figure 3 Church of San Pancrazio, reconstruction of fabric ca. 625-638. Figure 4 Church of San Pancrazio, sketch of screen wall. Figure 5 Church of San Pancrazio, ground plan of church and monastery (1633). Figure 6 Church of San Pancrazio, first floor plan (1633).
  • Table:
  • Abstract:
  • Author's Affiliation:
  • Conference Info: - , -
  • Year of Publication: 2004.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN/ISBN: 9004140190
  • Material/Technique :
  • Rights: